[time-nuts] Anyone with information on STLN4096A / HP Z3817 ?

Skip Withrow swithrow at idcomm.com
Wed Oct 29 02:07:46 UTC 2008

Thanks for all the time-nut information on the McCoy OSC92 pinout
identification, it indeed does appear to be the same as the Isotemp OCXO134.

Now for the next time-nuts challenge.  I also have a Motorola STLN4096A.  It
appears to be an oscillator used in some kind of telecom equipment.  The
really neat part is that it contains an H-P E1938A (I also know that some
versions also came with the FEI 5680 rubidium)!  The E1938A has the DB-25 on
the other side of the board (and opposite sex) than the one sent to me by
Rick K., but some work making a jumper and it works in my Shera GPSDO just
dandy. The other two boards in the three-board set are also H-P and marked
with a Z3817-xxxxx part number (one is the power supply board and one is a
processor board).

Now for the time nuts help.  Any information on this beast?  There are two
DB connectors on the unit, the DB-9 (marked MMI) is RS-232 and seems to talk
SCPI.  Anyone have the command set?  Is this a repackaged Z3815?  The other
connector (DB-25, marked TIB) is to the power supply board.  I have
identified the (18-36V) power supply pins, but there are other I/O's -
including a 1pps.  And I would imagine the 10MHz out.  Does this unit also
interface to a GPS receiver and is it already a GPSDO (minus the GPS
receiver)?

As always, thanks in advance.  It is amazing the depth of knowledge of the
collective time-nuts community.

Regards,
Skip Withrow