[time-nuts] Time-zones and World time..

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Thu Oct 30 15:36:44 UTC 2008

Brooke Clarke wrote:
> Hi Chuck:
>
> Not all of the U.S. uses DST, so there's a control group.

That's true, but it cannot be said that the areas that don't
use DST are equivalent to those that do in all respects that
might cause heart problems.

It is thought the change in sleep/wake patterns is what causes
the stress to the heart, so I would be most interested in what
happened to identical populations when the DST date changed.

Unfortunately, he study period was from 1987 through 2006, so
I believe it missed the shift in DST dates.

The Swedish researchers that did the study said the number of
heart attacks drops 5% for the 7 days after the US changes from
DST to standard time, and spikes on the Monday we go back to DST.

I expect that the daily risk will be found to shift with the
change in the DST date.

-Chuck Harris