[time-nuts] Time-zones and World time..

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Thu Oct 30 18:49:01 UTC 2008

David Forbes wrote:
> At 9:42 AM -0400 10/30/08, Chuck Harris wrote:
>> With the great ease of computers to make the transformations,
>> there really isn't any point in removing local timezones.  It
>> is just a table after all... it is nothing like the old days when
>> every major town used Local Sidereal Time (eg. 12:00 is when the
>> sun is at its highest).  That caused major problems for the
>> railroads.
>>
>> -Chuck Harris
>
> Chuck,
>
> I don't think you meant to say sidereal time, which is based the
> stars, not the sun. There are 366.25 or so days in a sidereal year!

Yes, you are right.  The term stuck in my head from an astronomy course
I took in the distant past.  About the only point in my life where I
studied all of the major time systems and how they inter-related...
Apparently without any great retention... sigh!

Local Solar Time is the LST I was thinking of... only, I guess 00:00:00
is high noon in LST.... Maybe Local Sundial Time?

-Chuck Harris