[time-nuts] How to get 32.768KHz from 10MHz.

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Thu Sep 4 15:25:20 EDT 2008

Hi John:

All the quartz clocks I've taken apart have a single coil, for example see:
http://www.prc68.com/I/QuartzClk.shtml

The drive to that coil is bi-polar and is from a single AA cell, so the driver
IC must use an H-bridge.  If you want to drive a clock like this at 1 PPS from
a 10 MHz source you will need to use some kind of conversion circuit.  That's
why it's easier to generate the 32768 Hz signal and just drive the xtal pins on
the  clock's IC.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.prc68.com/P/Prod.html  Products I make and sell