[time-nuts] I want a good micro-controller

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Thu Sep 4 18:49:02 EDT 2008

Hi Robert:

Yes it applies to assembly.  I have 100+ page PIC programs that meet this
requirement.  You might think about span of control to see how you can do it.

Microchip introduced a bug into their assembler some time ago and it is not
able to print a PAGE (form feed) assembler directive.  But the Form Feed
commands are in the  listing file, so you can use Word to print the listing
file and get page breaks for each module.

Having only one module on a page makes it much easier to read the code because
you are not seeing unrelated information and you don't have to turn a a page to
see it all.

The use of indent also goes a long way to clarify code.  The Microchip
assembler has settings that allow this to happen automatically.  In addition
they have provision to color code different types of words in the assembly
listing and that also makes the meaning clearer.  In one of the Microsoft books
on programming they go to great lengths to define the data type as part of it's
name but the color coding does that in Microchip assembly.

Here is the assembler source file for the 16F88 to blink some LEDs.  It's a pdf
made from the assembly source so has the colors but the page breaks do not show
up:   http://www.prc68.com/I/pdf/Brooke-16F88_LED.pdf

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.prc68.com/P/Prod.html  Products I make and sell