[time-nuts] Help with Datum/Symmetricom TymServe TS2100

christopher hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Thu Sep 25 01:37:33 EDT 2008

"Skip Withrow" <swithrow at idcomm.com> wrote:
> I have recently acquired a Datum TS2100-IRIG NTP time server.  Nice
> unit, and I do have IRIG-B to feed it, however, reading the manual I
> notice that there is a GPS version as well.  Upon taking the top of the
> unit off I notice that there are the connector and standoffs for both
> Oncore
> and Trimble ACE-III sized receivers.  Tried plugging both in, but the
> unit
> does not
> seem to recognize it (always reports GPS receiver busy).

I was able to make this conversion with an ACE-III module (thanks Jason!).
I am a bit fuzzy on the details now and my notebooks are packed away in some
random box, but I do recall that it was important to set the ACE-III to
speak the right protocol -- TSIP, IIRC.  There may have been an issue with
speed as well.  A logic analyzer on the TS's Tx pin was helpful.  I have a
vague memory of sending out a note about my successful conversion, so you
may want to check the archives.

What I am certain of is that Symmetricom is not going to be of any help.
Abandon all hope there.

-ch