[time-nuts] HP105b

J. L. Trantham jltran at worldnet.att.net
Tue Sep 30 21:43:14 EDT 2008

Brooke and Bill,

I purchased a 105B several months ago and my battery pack was dead as well.

It uses 20 size D cells in a 4 X 5 layout with the batteries positive up
alternating with negative up and connected in such a manner that you have
about 2.4 Volts or 0 Volts when measuring from the 'tail' of an arrow to the
'tip' of the arrow as shown in the attached picture of the cover of the
battery pack.  The battery in the position just above the "+24V" is + up,
the one at the 'tip' of the arrow above it is - up and so on with the
batteries connected with spot welded tabs.

I had a new pack made up by the local battery shop out of higher capacity
batteries (5 AH as I recall) and the charger circuit seems to keep it
working very well.  After a full charge, it will last about 8 hours after
pulling the AC plug.

I have mine running now for just over a week being disciplined by a Brooks
Shera controller card driven by the 1 PPS from a TBolt.  When comparing the
5 MHz out of the 105B to the 10 MHz out of the TBolt in a 'X Y' manner on
the oscilloscope, the lissagous figure is 'frozen in time'.  Simply amazing!

All I have to do now is to come up with a way to convert the 24V from the
battery pack to the voltages required for the TBolt (+/-12V and +5V) and the
controller card (+/-5 to 12V)and I will have a battery backed up stand alone
system with two (sort of) independent frequency sources.  24V should be
available on pin D of J3 on the back of the 105B.

Joe