[time-nuts] Cabling GPS antennas

David McGaw david at endor.com
Tue Apr 7 17:15:54 UTC 2009

  Hi Steve,

I find it hard to believe myself, but the numbers don't lie.  A 1.5:1
SWR junction gives 0.177dB transmission loss and a -13.98 dB
reflection.  If you have a true 50 ohm antenna and receiver and use
75 ohm LOSS-LESS cable, the transmission loss will be only 0.35dB and
the doubly reflected wave will be 28dB down.  Any line loss makes
things rapidly better still.  15m of TV foam-type RG-6/U will have
~3.7dB cable loss or ~4dB total loss, and a reflection 35dB
down.  BTW, return loss of the cable itself is rated at -15dB @
1500MHz!  And, as has been pointed out, the SWR of the receiver and
antenna will not be 1:1 either.

Good luck,

David