[time-nuts] femtosecond jitter anyone?

Mike Monett xde-l2g3 at myamail.com
Mon Apr 13 04:31:48 UTC 2009

  > Chris

  > The biggest problem with the OCXO is probably that it has a square
  > wave output.

  > With careful  design it is possible to achieve a jitter  of  a few
  > tens of femtosec for a logic level output from a limiter,  but the
  > OCXO designers are unlikely to have used such a limiter.

  [...]

  > Bruce

  Bruce

  This would  be  an  excellent subject for  a  tutorial  on precision
  system design. Do you have any links to support your claim of a tens
  of femtosec for a logic level from a limiter?

  I am  not  aware of any logic family that  can  support  that jitter
  performance.

  When you  post items that stretch the state of the art, it  would be
  nice if you would show us all how to do the same.

  Mike