[time-nuts] Spring cleaning and antenna placement

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Apr 13 19:37:45 UTC 2009

Joseph M Gwinn skrev:
> time-nuts-bounces at febo.com wrote on 04/13/2009 11:32:48 AM:
>
>> brooke at pacific.net skrev:
>>> Hi Magnus:
>>>
>>> Why not just put the GPS antenna at the top of the existing TV mast?
>>> http://www.prc68.com/I/Ant.shtml#SBant
>> It would be a little bit of a challenge... I think I have some 4-5 meter
>
>> of additional height, the tiling is slippery and then antenna rig is
>> kind of heavy, so it is not one of those things you do alone. At least I
>
>> don't do it alone... I'm not a well trained radio amateur and the
>> rooftop is not very well suited for elaborate exercises...
>>
>> I sure would like to have things like safety-line when working up there.
>
>> I don't feel that safe up there.
>
> I don't know what it costs in Sweden, but in the US one can hire roofers
> or antenna installers to do such things, and they have the equipment.
>
> How did the TV mast get on the roof?

A professional TV mast rigger did the job.

I had a look at it again... and I'd say it is more like 3 meters up from
the chimney, but it is still 4 m up from the roof at the chimney so it
is a bit hard to get to.

Anyway, the repositioned antenna now makes the borrowed Ashtech Z-12
lock up at L1 and L2 for sufficient amount of sats, but the S/N is
lowish, which I think I will blame on my RG-58, not too professionally
done coax work... could TDR it thought. Hmm... why didn't I think of that?

Cheers,
Magnus