[time-nuts] PTS D310 and GPIB

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Mon Aug 3 09:39:33 UTC 2009

I recently aquired a PTS D310 synthesizer. It is like two PTS 310's in
one box, each 0.1 to 310 MHz. The control is only via two GPIB
connectors on the back.

After fighting it for a while (commands must end with a CR or LF and
that hung me up for a while) I have been able to generate frequencies
but I haven't worked out one detail. I hope maybe some one here may know
the answer.

Manuals for other PTS units posted by GandalfG8 <Nigel> on Didier's
pages got me started -- thank's guys. The D310 should be able to
generate frequencies to 0.1 Hz resolution. I haven't figure out how to
set it beyond 1 Hz resolution. The 'F' command sets the frequency. I
assumed I would just give it one extra digit for the extra resolution,
but that doesn't seem to work.

If I send 'F1000000', I get 1 MHz output. I thought it would be 100000.0 Hz.

I tried sending 'F1000000.5' and it seems to ignore the period, giving
10.000005 MHz output.

Does anyone know how to set the frequency via GPIB to .1 Hz resolution?

----

One other question. The Model number is D310RHN2GX-108/X-123 .  From the
PTS web site information, all of that makes sense except the last
features part -- X108/X-123. Does anyone happen to know what those X
options are?

Thanks for any help.