[time-nuts] HP 106B quartz frequency standard...the story so far

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Aug 6 12:29:01 UTC 2009

J. L. Trantham wrote:
> Are you just seeing the transient as it reaches a new equilibrium of
> temperature after which it would reduce to a background drift rate or is
> this the observation after it has stabilized?

I think doing the type of long-time log that I proposed may help in
getting to know the behaviour better. One of my counters has a nifty
real-time update distplay and I set it to 5 sec time-base and see how it
slowly updates. If it was even niftier it would scroll the display
continously as an option, but you can't get it all.

Oh, when I described means to estimate drift parameters out if the
frequency derivate, then again the need for zero dead time is there,
between the frequency or time samples (whichever is used). Picket fence
techniques should be used. The TADD-2 may come in handy. Oh, got to play
some more with mine.

Cheers,
Magnus