[time-nuts] Difference in GPS antennas

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Aug 14 16:27:52 UTC 2009

On 8/14/09 9:13 AM, "Mark Sims" <holrum at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Some of the data collection runs that I want to do is with the patch mounted
> on a pizza pan and in a cake pan and see if that helps the performance by
> faking what a survey antenna does.

If you can scrounge up some suitable RF absorbing material to put on the
pan, that might be an interesting experiment.  Maybe even something like
charcoal briquettes (I don't know if the resistivity is right..)

I've tried the pizza pan thing, but that was because my antenna was a
magmount, and it was convenient. I didn't see if it gave better performance.
A flat plate might actually be worse than putting the bare antenna up on a
pole, because it gives strong multipath from a very close reflection point.