[time-nuts] How do time-nuts measure phase noise?

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Tue Aug 18 10:34:24 UTC 2009

John Miles wrote:
> That NIST box looks very nice but I have no idea what it does.  If it's just
> a quadrature PLL and collection of filters, that can be done for a lot less
> than $4000.  If it's got features like an ensemble of built-in reference
> oscillators, then $4000 could be a bargain.
>
> -- john, KE5FX

I thought about making a $500 offer, but I guess that would just be
insulting to the seller and there's already one offer. (one of us?) It
would be over $10 per button. I got my 5370A for less than $4 per
button/knob/switch with shipping so the $500 is in my normal range.

The connectors on the front look a bit odd, but may be sma with
terminators. The back looks a bit scary with a mil spec connector and
other large-looking connectors. What's all that for? And would I need
another $500 to connect to it?

Just thinking out loud from my bidding tendencies. The do-it-yourself
approach sounds better. It's probably cheaper than my bid idea, and if
not, it tends to grow in smallish cost increments as you figure out all
the pieces you actually need.