[time-nuts] Pizza anyone?

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 18 17:39:56 UTC 2009

I bought a couple of pizza pans for the GPS Patch Antenna Improvement Program...  preliminary results:

My  15+ year old Magellan patch antenna (actually made by Murata) would barely function with the Tbolt.   It was (barely) tracking three satellites and going through long periods of holdover.  I then mounted it on the bottom of a 16" pizza pan.  It is now tracking 8 satellites with no signal dropouts.
  If you are using a consumer/automotive type patch antenna,  you might want to try a pizza pan ground plane under it.   I am doing a 48 hour survey run to see how it performs compared to my other antennas.  I cannot compare it to itself without the pan since it would never complete the survey.

My geodetic grade antenna is a patch type antenna mounted on a 14.5" aluminum disk.  14" diameter is a standard pizza pan size.  I am going to try mounting the TAPR Motorola patch to it and see what happens.  I have a good 48 survey with that antenna to compare to.