[time-nuts] Pizza anyone?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Aug 18 21:51:30 UTC 2009

Mark Sims wrote:
> Yes,  I also assumed that having the lip of the pan facing up would
> not be good.  I mounted the antenna on the bottom of the pan.  In the
> center of the top of the pan (the side where the pizza would be) I
> glued a 5/8-11 nut.  This is the standard size used on most surveying
> instruments,  antennas,  and tripods.  I can't flip the thing over to
> test the difference the lip would make (but the pan was only $3 at Target).

Hehe... cheap :)

> For my next antenna test,  I also bought a cake pan.  I want to
> see what happens when you mount the patch inside the pan.  I want to
> try it both bare metal,  and with the inside of the pan laminated in
> carbon fiber.   The idea is the side of the pan will act as a poor
> man's choke ring and block signals from lower elevations.  The carbon
> fiber lining should help absorb reflections from the insides of the pan.

Maybe...

A choke-ring breaks waves into two waves... one which follow the choke
ring down, propagate along and up the next ring such that the distance
just straight across and the down-across-up is about half-wave such that
L1 waves comming straight will experience a null. Usually at least three
rings is used since that makes a third-degree breakpoint and makes the
main lobe wider.... rather than being fairly narrow... however, the
wave-approach detunes the frequency being nulled, so that helps with the
angular roll-off.

At least that's how I have grasped it.

Should learn to use nut for simulation.

Cheers,