[time-nuts] Using cheap sound cards for measurements

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Sun Aug 23 05:22:39 UTC 2009

Ok, I have looked at a few USB cards and reviews. For SD radios, and as far
as I can tell for time use, the Creative E-MU 0202 will do nicely, at a
reasonable cost of $99.00.
According to the company info, the E-MU 0404 might be synchronizable; it
costs about $150. The plug-in card (takes two slots) equivalent to the 0404
is apparently the E-MU 1212.

It might be possible to modify the 0202 to provide an external clocking
signal, at least to provide a more stable oscillator, I don't know. The 100
ps jitter if true is satisfactory?

Oh, the 1212 input amplifiers are DC coupled (!).
I suggest, of course, that interested parties have a look at the website:
http://us.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=237

I'll probably be ordering an 0202 in the near future.

Don Latham