[time-nuts] Couple of questions for Racal 1992 owners

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 27 19:15:04 UTC 2009

Intuitively, this wouldn't surprise me.  You set the OCXO up so that the temperature is somewhat higher than the highest expected ambient (so, say, it's at 60C) and pick a crystal that has a flat freq/temp characteristic near there.  So, when you turn on, your crystal is at, say, 25C, where the slope of the freq/temp curve is pretty steep.  I'll bet someone has some curves out there that could give a quick order of magnitude estimate...

I have a poor quality chart here that shows an AT cut with about 40 ppm change for a 50 degree C change, and an SC changes about 5 ppm over the same span.  Since a decent oscillator has aging of small ppm/year, that's orders of magnitude bigger for the temperature effect.

Is this a SC or an AT cut?