[time-nuts] Thunderbolt can't find sats

d.seiter at comcast.net d.seiter at comcast.net
Tue Dec 1 06:47:01 UTC 2009

I have one of the red label Thunderbolts, which worked great until this summer when I was playing with Lady Heather. The antenna was in the lab with me, and everything was working just fine. The data LH was providing started looking odd and diminished to flatline (I wish I could remember exactly what was happening, but I was just getting used to LH).

I shelved it for a while until this last weekend, when I moved everything outside so the antenna would have a great view of the sky. Tboltmon showed a green board except for satellite tracking, osc disciplining, and almanac. I left it running for ~48 hours and it never picked up a sat. The SV numbers do change, but that's it. The DAC voltage is 0.00000, and the DAC value is 0x8000. A forced self-survey changes the survey lamp to yellow, but the survey never goes past 1% (no sats).

Anyone seen this before or have any hints? About the only thing I haven't tried is the factory reset.

Thanks,

Dave