[time-nuts] OT: Power level reference

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Wed Dec 2 06:10:35 UTC 2009

Well John,

Neither do you with regard to the hp-3400A RMS voltneter.  It is spec'd to only
10 MHz !  From 50Hz to 1 MHz it is +/-1% and at 10 MHz it is rated at +/-5%.  So
at 10 MHz it is no better then the spec of Bird 43 slug type power meter (if you
believe them).

The old hp-434 Colorimetric power meter (i.e., measures heat content of applied
power) is only good for 5%, but than can be improved somewhat with applied
techniques.  However, this unit has the frequency range of DC to 12 GHz.

The best you can do with an analog scope is 3% measurement of the screen
display.  If you were to assume the load resistor whose voltage drop is being
measured was perfect, then 3% is the best you could do.  Obviously, such is not
the case so some allowance would have to considered because the resistor is not
perfect, so, again, about the best you can do is in the area of 5%.  The newer
digital displayed readout scopes are really no better.

As someone pointed out, the best you could trust an Amateur type power meter
would be 20% into a perfect "load" without some serious calibration efforts and
recording the offsets at various frequencies.  As most all Amateurs would be hard
pressed to understand and quantify their "load," they are really kidding
themselves to use the meter for anything more then a relative forward power
indicator.