[time-nuts] hp Application notes, 225 and 225-1

Joe Geller joegeller at roadrunner.com
Fri Dec 4 17:23:55 UTC 2009

I uploaded pdfs of two hp Application notes, 225 and 225-1 at Didier's ko4bb
most excellent manual website: Measuring Phase Spectral Density Of Synthesized Signal Sources
Exhibiting f0 and f-1 Noise Characteristics With the The 5390A Frequency
Stability Analyzer (225) and Measurement Considerations when using the 5390A opt 010 (225-1).

AN 225 discusses the use of a bandpass filter in addition to a low pass filter
 after the mixer in a fixed offset mixer measurement.  The bandpass filter
reduces undesired harmonics.

(The 5390A system used a hp 10830A mixer / IF amplifier and a
5345A universal counter with the memory module plug in.  The system ran on an old hp
desktop calculator.  Note the the 10830As are perfectly useable as standalone units with
other counters and software.)

AN 225-1 discusses mitigation of frequency pulling in DMTD measurements (the
5390A -010 supplied two 10830As for DMTD) by use of isolation amplifiers.

After not finding these application notes on the web, I bought them from a
commercial dealer, so they are now available.  While probably too basic for the more experienced
Time Nuts, there is some good general information.  They are less 5390A centric than the titles imply.

Regards,

Joe Geller