[time-nuts] OT: Disk Drive recovery.

d.seiter at comcast.net d.seiter at comcast.net
Mon Dec 7 20:28:23 UTC 2009

Boy, does that bring back memories!  I have had a bunch of SCSI drives with this problem.  One drive in particular was so bad that I had to use a plier to free the spindle (about 1/4" was exposed for a grounding tab).  I couldn't afford a replacement at the time, so I kept hoping it would keep working, which it did until I found a good deal on a removable cartridge drive  (can't think of the name now, but the cartridges were about 5" square).  I probably still have it around somewhere.

-Dave

This reminds me of the ancient Seagate
insufficient startup torque problem.  At work
I was able to unfasten the hard drive and, at
power-up, give the drive a quick physical
rotation, just enough to get it spinning and
then copy the user's data from it.  Of course,
users don't back up their files.

Mike - AA8K