[time-nuts] Beginner's time reference

Charl charl at turingbirds.com
Thu Dec 10 22:03:23 UTC 2009

Dear Nuts,

For a while now, I've been wanting to build a time refence. Initially I was
considering making a crystal oven, but after some browsing I found that an
atomic reference is actually within my grasp! It appears there are quite a
few options with regard to technology, but also to competing products. As a
newbie to the field of timekeeping, I'm a bit uncertain what would make a
good first system. The price tag of the high end masers unfortunately puts
them outside my range, based on what I could see on eBay. I'll be happy to
pay for good equipment, but once it gets to 4 digits it starts putting some
serious dents in my bank account. I'm hoping to build my own circuit around
the device, which might cut down the costs somewhat. Some rubidium sources
on eBay go for less than $100, but I'm not sure what quality to expect. Any
advice or suggestions are appreciated!

Kind regards,
Charl Linssen
The Netherlands