[time-nuts] Beginner's time reference

Justin Pinnix justin at fuzzythinking.com
Fri Dec 11 14:49:59 UTC 2009

I'm hearing a lot of recommendations for types of oscillators, but noone has
asked the question - what is the desired performance?

For me, I wanted a clock that stays within a second of UTC for a year.  I'm
pretty sure the LPRO I bought will exceed that, (though I guess I won't know
for another 12 months).  Of course, I needed a way to evaluate what I built,
so I also picked up a Thunderbolt.  What was that about a tar pit? :-)

I built my own clock/counter circuit, but it was a lot of work.  I see a lot
of Datum 9100s for sale on eBay for under $50.  Has anyone tried out one of
those?

I still need to write up my circuit, but it is similar to (but not based on)
this:  http://www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/MICRO/CLOCK/

Thanks,
-JP