[time-nuts] Beginner's time reference

mike cook michael.cook at wanadoo.fr
Fri Dec 11 21:46:52 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "jmfranke" <jmfranke at cox.net>

< snipped >
 > You will often hear that time is the inverse of frequency, but the
inverse of
> frequency is period or time interval.  Time is set by governments.

 I agree with the the sentment, but not the last phrase.
For me time just exists. What time nuts do is to try  and measure and
characterise it.
International organisations decide on some basic definitions and standards,
such as how many ticks make a toc,
when to start counting etc, not governements.
Governements just decide on when to start the day in their patch, and when
to add or subract a bit to keep the farmers and industrialists happy.

Mike NN4ACS