[time-nuts] Beginner's time reference

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sat Dec 12 10:01:57 UTC 2009

john.foege at gmail.com writes:

Time  does not just exist. That is correct. It is a human construct, like
all other  things. We define it, as all other things, and then make useful
empirical  comparative observations with it.

---------------------------
It isn't quite as straightforward as that, in the sense that is of time
being just a human construct, and not all other things are human constructs
either.

It's not too unreasonable to accept that events, in conventional  physics
at least, do generally occur in a sequential fashion, hence the  intervals
between them that we strive to measure, and that would occur without  any
human intervention or existence.

It's when one attempts to quantify time itself as a measurable quantity in
itself that problems arise.
There are measurable quantities such as mass, length, potential difference
etc, that again aren't human constructs but exist anyway, and would
continue to do so even if we and our definitions all disappeared  tomorrow.

But with time there is no absolute quantity, just those intervals again, so
 when you say "we define it", just how would you attempt to define it as an
 absolute quantity?

Although it's reasonable to accept that we live in a universe where  things
occur sequentially, even if not necessarilly causually related, and  hence
the existence of intervals between events can be accepted also, and  can be
measured in terms of whatever units we choose to define, that still does
not demonstrate that "time" itself actually exists.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR