[time-nuts] Beginner's time reference

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Sat Dec 12 11:33:50 UTC 2009

At 06:47 PM 12/11/2009, GandalfG8 at aol.com wrote...
>Unfortunately, that's not really the way it is.

That's opinion, stated as fact.

>Time nuts do not and cannot measure time itself because time as an
>absolute
>  entity just doesn't exist.

That depends upon how one defines "time." Also, how one defines
"reality," and where they sit on the philosophical/pragmatic scale.

The OED's first definition is "the indefinite continued progress of
existence and events in the past, present, and future, regarded as a
whole," and that's exactly what time nuts measure.

Time exists in the same way any other dimension does. It is measured by
comparision (how many cycles of Cs resonance between two other events,
etc.).

Zeno's paradox tells us that distance and motion don't exist, either.
But, there they are. No sense trying to respond, since it is impossible
for your fingers to travel the distance required to make a response.

>And just in case anyone wishes to shout me down on this, as happened
>when I
>  dared to suggest the same some time ago,

It's easy to be right, when you define terms to your own liking. Just
what do you mean by "some time ago," given your claim that "time itself
[isn't a] measurable quantity?" :-)