[time-nuts] Beginner's time reference

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Sat Dec 12 16:09:54 UTC 2009

Here's another way to look at it:

Time is what keeps things from happening all at once.

Also, without time there can be no motion (velocity, acceleration x time).

The units of distance are arbitrary - from the King's foot to a chosen
number of atomic wavelengths. And so the units of time are arbitrary -
fractions of the rotation of the Earth.

Distance exists and time exists, but the measure of things is man - in
the sense that without man, there would be no units of measurement.

I may measure time with a clock, but I can't characterize time. I can
only compare and characterize man's instruments for measuring time.

Maybe it's like people's perception of Evolution. Some see it as a thing
that causes things to be the way they are. Others know that evolution is
a process that describes what happens to genes in changing environments.

Oh, I am collapsing under the weight of these heavy thoughts . . .

Bill Hawkins