[time-nuts] Source for Trimble Bullet GPS antennas?

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Thu Dec 17 12:36:26 UTC 2009

Hi

The antenna it's self in these things is a constrained device. Gain and directivity are directly related to each other. If you want to uniformly cover a full hemisphere the gain will be 3 db relative to isotropic. If it is more, you are missing signal somewhere.

Of course what you want is an antenna with gain near the horizon. Throwing away gain straight up as a tradeoff is pretty common. For practical designs that turns out to be a db to a couple of db.

More or less you have:

3 db antenna gain +/- 1.5 db + LNA NF of 2.5 db +/- 1 db = 5.5 +/- 2.5 db

If you are running down a long / lossy cable, or worse yet through a multi port splitter you can see the noise figure of the receiver get into the act. That's going to happen as the gain of the LNA - loss goes much below 20 db for most receivers.

Bob