[time-nuts] Looking for Floating Reference Chip

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Dec 18 00:42:49 UTC 2009

Richard W. Solomon wrote:
> I am looking for a Voltage Reference chip that will take
> a 12 volt source and give me a floating output (+ and -
> not referenced to ground). An 8 or 10 volt output would be
> perfect.
>
> Any thoughts on what I could use ?
>
> Thanks, Dick, W1KSZ

I think what you may want is an "instrumentation amplifier".
TI is good source for these (they bought Burr Brown).
Another possibility is to use a TL431 type (also TI)
programmable shunt regulator with resistors going to
12V and ground.  Kind of depends on exactly what you
are trying to do.

Rick Karlquist N6RK