[time-nuts] Cheap Rubidium

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Wed Dec 23 21:30:08 UTC 2009

Lux, Jim (337C) said the following on 12/23/2009 03:17 PM:

> Typical (Cassini, MGS, etc., data from Sami Asmar) UltraStableOscillator (USO) specs as used in spaceflight do about 1E-13 at tau =10 to 1000 seconds, 3E-13 at 1 second.  Today, you can probably do maybe an order of magnitude better.  These are state of the art oscillators in a vacuum envelope with double ovens, etc.

As far as I know, the best OCXO you can get commercially today is an
Oscilloquartz 8607 option 008 BVA
(www.oscilloquartz.ch/file/pdf/8607.pdf), which is spec'd at 1.2x10e-13
at 1 second and 8x10e-14 from 3 to 30 seconds.  TVB's page at
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/8607-drift shows it's in the 13s out to
10K seconds.  The spec sheet says the aging may be <3x10e-12/day after
30 days operation (there's one option for best aging, and another for
best short term stability; it's not clear whether you can get both in
the same package).

John