[time-nuts] Cheap Rubidium

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Dec 24 21:33:25 UTC 2009

> If I had a bunch of mu metal sitting in the basement I'd certainly use
> it in the setup. Last time I checked the stuff was not cheap ....

How good is mu metal relative to typical steel?

I'm interested in shielding/$.  If I have $X to spend on shielding (for a
hobby project), am I better off spending it on mu metal or junk yard steel?

In this case, space or weight is not a significant disadvantage.  (If I can
also use it as a thermal layer, it might even be an advantage.)

Years ago, I was helping somebody with two displays.  They were interacting with each other in unpleasant ways.  We tried some thin mu metal.  It didn't help much.  A big chunk of 1/8 or 1/4 steel worked much better.