[time-nuts] Best test setup?

Skip Withrow swithrow at idcomm.com
Tue Dec 29 15:08:18 UTC 2009

Hello time-nuts,

I'm looking for the group expertise to tell me what would be the best test
setup for looking at ADEV of several oscillators.

I have severa crystal, rubidium, and GPSDO oscillators that I would like to
characterize.  I have a 5370B and cesium that has 1, 5, and 10 MHz output.
The question is what is the best configuration of internal/external
oscillator, start input, and stop input of the 5370B (and do I use an
external 1pps trigger)?

Then there is the issue of whether to use the cesium as the reference in all
cases.  Seems the GPSDO would have better long term stability for very long
tau.  Any insight appreciated.

Regards,
Skip Withrow