[time-nuts] Timenoob - Cheap and simple 10MHz reference

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Tue Dec 29 17:35:08 UTC 2009

The CW-12 consists of the CW-25 mounted on a circuit board with some glue
logic, connectors, etc.  The CW-25 itself is the surface-mount module in the
middle of the CW-12.  Compare the pictures - you'll see what I mean.  Both units
are listed as having a tracking sensitivity of -155 dbm.  I don't know what you
mean when you say that the CW-25 is more sensitive.

By the way, the CW-12 works great indoors.  Through a typical wood-frame
construction I usually get 7 or 8 satellites with a cheap active patch antenna.
With a VIC-100 timing antenna, I usually have 10 or more satellites.  1 PPS
 performance is also very good.  Multiple measurements of 1000 periods
shows a standard deviation of <5 ns with a min-max range of < 30 ns.  This is
without sawtooth correction because this unit doesn't support it - even with the
Motorola software.

Ed