[time-nuts] Lady Heather's Window, font size

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Feb 1 17:27:18 UTC 2009

Didier skrev:
> I have found it difficult to find out from within a Windows program how big
> or small a particular font is rendered. Windows has a function called
> TextWidth (and TextHeight) that does not work correctly for all fonts. It
> seems to be video card driver dependant too, as the same fonts look
> different (and have different size) on different video cards.

The trouble is that the windows port of Lady Heathers choose "system
default" which is not the system default one sets in the Display
Configuration. It seems like it picks Terminal 4 point. It needs to at
least choose size... but preferably also choose font.

> I wrote a small VB program that you can use to find out if windows is lying
> for a particular font.
>
> It's at http://www.ko4bb.com/VB_Projects/TextWidth/TextWidth.exe
>
> This programs sets the size of the colored background to what windows says
> the font takes. You can see some fonts work well, and some don't. I have
> found that most of the time, Windows returns a size greater than is actually
> used.
>
> That can be useful if you use these functions by letting you choose fonts
> that work.

Well, it is useful as such, but it seems like the graphic on my display
is not obstructed from incorrectly given size, it simply chooses the
wrong size to begin with....

Cheers,
Magnus