[time-nuts] Tbolt temperature sensor

Didier didier at cox.net
Thu Feb 5 13:15:22 UTC 2009

I have been casually following this thread because I use the DS1629 in
several of my projects and it also has a temperature sensor so I logically
assumed (that word again) that the 1620 and 1629 had a similar way to
measure temperature. The 1629 has 0.5 degree resolution but higher
resolution is available if you are willing to put up with additional work,
just like the 1620.

However, both devices uses completely different methods to measure
temperature: the 1620 uses a bandgap reference and an analog temperature
sensor while the 1629 uses a temperature sensistive oscillator and another
that is stable.

Since the 1629 is also a real time clock that can run from a lithium battery
for a long time, I suspect they had to use a lower power scheme for it than
the bandgap reference.

Interesting

Didier KO4BB