[time-nuts] Tbolt temperature sensor

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Feb 5 19:21:49 UTC 2009

The reason I'm asking this is because I can't figure out from
your descriptions or from the plots a clear way to distinguish
between unintended oven current-induced changes in applied
EFC voltage vs. direct temperature-induced changes in OCXO
frequency output. It seems both would have the same effect.

I wonder if there is a clear test that would tell you one way or
the other.

Maybe change oven voltage quite suddenly. That should cause
a change in oven current. If the measured EFC voltage or the
measured frequency also changes suddenly then that might
indicate it's not really temperature that's being compensated for.

Can I do these tests on my double oven Fury? Or is this something
only for the single oven version.

/tvb
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: SAIDJACK at aol.com
  To: time-nuts at febo.com ; tvb at leapsecond.com
  Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 10:22 AM
  Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Tbolt temperature sensor

  Hi Tom,

  I re-connected the antenna to that unit just now, so it is now GPS locked again.

  Forgot to mention: another reason why ground loop currents for these single oven units are not an issue is that the current changes very little with temperature. In the plots you can see that the OCXO current is typ. less than 50mA, and the variation is typically less than 4mA peak to peak.

  A 4mA change is a very small change to affect ground-loop induced voltage offset errors across the ground plane, OCXO pin, etc. Nevertheless we do Kelvin sensing to avoid any issues for ovens with higher current variations.

  bye,
  Said