[time-nuts] Tbolt temperature sensor

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Feb 5 20:41:41 UTC 2009

Jerry

No one has seriously suggested that the temperature sensor is used to
control the oven temperature.
It is likely to merely an input to the Kalman filter to allow for
compensation of the EFC DAC gain and offset drift as well as the effects
of finite OCXO oven thermal gain.
Thermal hysteresis will limit the stability of the external EFC DAC
after such correction.

The question is really is what effect (if any) does the apparent 0.5C
quantisation error have on the performance compared to the earlier
versions that have greater resolution?

If the external DAC has a gain and offset tempco of 10ppm/C and the OCXO
EFC range is 1ppm, then 0.5C temperature resolution can potentially
cause 5E-12 steps in the fractional OCXO frequency after correction for
DAC gain drift.
If the DAC experiences wide temperature swings then thermal hysteresis
may cause variations of several ppm in the DAC gain and/or offset, in
which case there may be little point in using a sensor with a resolution
of better than 0.5C.

The sensor itself may have significant thermal hysteresis.

Bruce