[time-nuts] Thunderbolt power supply open heart surgery

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 10:38:31 UTC 2009

Hi Jim,
you may have a problem similar to mine.
In Sydney, with a nominal supply voltage of 240 Volts,
the supply at my place is above 250 volts. The supply authority
says that is in the limits of their specification.
I do not know why they run it so high, maybe they think they will
sell more power.
The problem is that many appliances have a 240 or 250 maximum, dual
power supplies for 110 V
switch to take 220 V.
My solution is to run my lab through a step down transformer to about
210 volts.
It puts less pressure on the capacitors in the power supplies.
I have not had a power supply problem for about 4 years now.
cheers,
Neville Michie