[time-nuts] CHU 12/31 Frequency Change

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Thu Jan 1 02:32:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 08:20:16PM -0500, John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
> Was I the only one monitoring CHU?

	I was monitoring CHU and WWV(5), and WWVB.

	A Dell laptop ate the recording of CHU and WWV audio (drat!),
but for approximately 90 minutes before the change I was monitoring
CHU on 7850.

	I also had the broadcast interference on the old frequency, but
normally I can hear their audio (especially the ticks) underneath.  It
looks like they just outright moved a bit early (which makes sense; given
the pending leap second, and the BC interference on the old frequency, moving
to the new prior to the leap will let folks that are ready for it
resync if needed.)

> Things didn't go as I expected.  It had been a few months since I had
> monitored 7335, so was surprised when in mid-afternoon a broadcaster (I
> think WHRI in Maine) was on frequency and totally obliterating CHU.

	And that would be why they are moving...I've heard a few different
broadcasters QRMing CHU to the point where it's been difficult to use if
not unusable.

> of CHU on 7335.  The signal was audible, but not great, on 7850.  I
> recorded both frequencies, but I don't think there's much exciting there.

	There wasn't.  I was more interested in doing a comparison between
WWV and CHU audio over the leap, but with that recording eaten, I only have
one that extends from 0001 UTC onwards.

	Well, hopefully there will be another one :)

	--msa