[time-nuts] Lady Heather's Leap Log

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jan 1 19:21:04 UTC 2009

On 1/1/09 10:32 AM, "Didier" <didier at cox.net> wrote:

> The reason for CR/LF is that CR takes a while on a teletype, while LF is
> fast, so sending both allowed enough time for the paper/print head to be in
> the right place before printing the next char. If you sent LF/CR on a
> teletype instead of CR/LF, you could see right away the reason :-)
>
> Didier
>
> PS: while writing this, I suddenly realized that it really dates me, doesn't
> it?

Only if you're generating the 50/60 Hz for your TTYs synchronous motor from
dividing down your 10 MHz house standard...

A new timenuts thing... Does the slight frequency error from an integer
division from 10MHz to 60.00024 affect the CR/LF timing... Clearly, the
folks using 50Hz and the corresponding gearing in the TTY have it better,
because it's an exact division.