[time-nuts] Leap quirks

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jan 1 20:20:15 UTC 2009

Two of my Linux systems hung.  One was running a 2.6.25 kernel and one
2.6.26.  A system running 2.6.23 worked fine.  I saw a couple of notes on
comp.protocols.time.ntp about Linux systems locking up.  One said that it was
a kernel bug in ntp.c but I haven't seen any details.

My Garmin GPS 18x USB was off by a second for about 2.5 hours.  I thought it
had fixed itself, but it's still bouncing around between reasonably close and
off by a second.  I'll get a graph one of these days.  (Poke me off list if
you want to see it before I get around to it.)  Hopefully it will fix itself
soon.

My 18 LVC and 18 USB (no x) both did the right thing.

The 18x is the new version.  Physically, it looks the same.  The receiver is
much more sensitive, but the timing has lots more jitter.

[My 18x LVC died a while ago so I didn't get any leap data from it.]

A couple of SiRF systems are off by a second now. These are the systems that
got confused when the leap second announcement started back in Aug.
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/ntp/leap-gps2.gif
They were clean for the first 18 hours of this year.  Mumble.  I'll have to
wait for more data.