[time-nuts] GPS12 leap second error

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Fri Jan 2 22:47:19 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 12:13:32PM -0800, Tom Van Baak wrote:
> I was sent a NMEA log of a Garmin GPS12 (f/w 4.60) showing
> the strangest leap second trace yet. Has anyone else see this
> before? In the ~15 seconds below, note:
>
> - double 235957
> - missing 235958 for the RMC sentence
> - no second 235960 for either sentence
> - strange 000059 for the BWC sentence
> - missing 000008 BWC sentence
> - gps lock lost from 235957 to 000043

	Tom,

	Keep in mind the GPS12 (and I still have mine) is
about 12-13 years old, and was a handheld navigational
receiver.  No mapping support, no timing support, no WAAS,
no DGPS, proprietary Garmin serial + power connector on the
back.  It's a very basic receiver.

	It was never, ever intended to be used for timing,
and attempting to use it for such results in amusement.
I agree the behavior is very odd indeed, so yes, it's an
oversight on their part, but I'm not surprised.

	I didn't even bother to observe mine.

	--msa