[time-nuts] Leap Quirks

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Jan 3 10:24:16 UTC 2009

[Linux systems hanging]

>> None of mine (many dozens) hung.    This is typical:
>> [844362.415072] Clock: inserting leap second 23:59:60 UTC

> Jan  1 12:59:59 willow kernel: Clock: inserting leap second 23:59:60 UTC

It got slashdotted:
  http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/01/1930202
I got bored before I found anything interesting.

It's a locking bug in the kernel.  That message gets printed with a lock held
and sometimes that calls a routine that needs the lock...

If you feed >linux hang ntp leap-second< to google-groups, the top hit is a thread in  fa.linux.kernel with all the details.

http://tinyurl.com/8juphd
http://groups.google.com/group/fa.linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/474eef5d80898411?q=linux+hang+ntp+leap-second#f3fc957cad4d3001