[time-nuts] WWV / WWVH / WWVB

David M. Witten II wittend at wwrinc.com
Wed Jan 7 14:52:23 UTC 2009

James R. Gorr wrote:
> http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T091/P0529.pdf
>

> When I look at the catalogue, the description says:
>
>> | UTC Receiver Module, 60kHz, no CPU | 561-1014-ND | 10.70 | CMMR-6P-60 |
>
> I have looked at modules like this before but what I saw was much more expensive.  So I'd like to get one at < $11.00.  Have you been able to RX WWVB with it (even if you haven't written anything to decode it)?

No, I haven't had time to make one work.  It seems like a nice little
package, but how useful and for what purposes I am not yet certain.  My
curiosity just got the better of me (again).  The device produces a
pulse train that encodes the WWV information.

> I wonder what the no CPU means?

That worried me too.  I read the manufacturer's information and it seems
that this is sometimes used with an Epson 4 bit CPU.  But any CPU/MCU
should be able to do the job.  A small PIC or AVR should be able to
handle it easily.  I did a little experimentation with a small ARM7
module (ARMite from Coridium), but haven't had time to do anything useful.

There is an article in the November '08 Circuit Cellar Magazine that
uses this module with a Freescale DEMO9S08QG8:

Time Server Design:
Synchronize with the WWVB Time Code Signal
Honorable Mention WIZnet iEthernet 2007 Design Contest
by Steven Nickels

The article can be purchased at:

http://www.circuitcellar.com/magazine/220.html

The article gives some details of decoding, but I don't have Freescale
tools and have a satisfactory (better) NTP server, so I won't duplicate it.

I would like to know what others might do with this thing.

Dave W.
KD0EAG