[time-nuts] GPSDO TC

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jan 8 22:36:53 UTC 2009

Björn Gabrielsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 11:09 +1300, Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> [...snip...
>

>> My point was that measurements are required to establish the optimum for
>> each individual OCXO not just for a given OCXO model.
>>
>> Bruce
>>

> Are those measurements possible to do in real time with only the GPSDO?
>
> --
>
>    Björn

Björn

Not really, however one can measure the relative ADEV as a function of
tau for the free running OCXO and the timing receiver.
There will be a broad minimum at some tau. The optimum time constant may
lie somewhere in the vicinity of that minimum.
Its probably impossible to do much better than that without a nice
stable statistically independent (for all tau) frequency standard.

Bruce