[time-nuts] Sound cards

Daun Yeagley daun at yeagley.net
Tue Jan 13 23:37:09 UTC 2009

Spoil sport!

Daun

-----Original Message-----
From: time-nuts-bounces at febo.com [mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On
Behalf Of John Ackermann N8UR
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:51 PM
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Sound cards

Lux, James P wrote:

> I was amused when the guy at the stereo store tried to sell me on RF
shielded TOSlink cables, claiming it would provide more clarity and
definition in the sound.  Uh-huh..   Sort of like the green marking pen for
the edges of your CDs to reduce internal reflections, etc. (I, of course,
would only use the finest brush made from selected hairs of Tibetan mountain
goats to apply a dye made from chlorophyll molecules selected using an
electron microscope by trained technicians, etc..  A "marking pen"? My
$14000 speaker cables supported on carefully oriented pure fused silica
supports would wither in shame.)

We have a rule here -- no discussion of audiophile insanity!  You'll thank
me in the end if we avoid a few hundred anecdotes about speaker cable and
$500 knobs. :-)

John