[time-nuts] Need FE-5650A help

Skip Withrow swithrow at idcomm.com
Thu Jan 15 15:04:09 UTC 2009

Hello fellow time-nuts,
I have recently acquired an FEI FE-5650A rubidium oscillator from a piece of
telecom equipment that does not seem to match some of the readily available
information, and am looking for a bit of help.

This unit has no indication of the options or variation.  However, it does
not match the standard units.  The output frequency is 15MHz.  The DB-9
connector pinout is as follows:
1 - +15V
2 - +15 RTN
3 - Lock Ind. (BIT)
4 - +5V
5 - +5 RTN
6 - VCO voltage? (or perhaps EFC control ?)
7 - GND
8 - Serial In (TTL)
9 - Serial Out (TTL)

The serial port is 9600, 8, N, 1.  However, the command set does not seem to
be any of the ASCII commands that I have seen for other FE-5650/5680 units.
Also, the synthesizer board seems to be a newer version than the two-button
units that have been well documented. A picture is attached.

Does anyone know what the command set might be?  I would like to get the
unit to 10MHz.

Also, any clue as to the true function of PIN 6?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Skip Withrow