[time-nuts] Wenzel Oscillator Repair

Stan W1LE stanw1le at verizon.net
Mon Jan 19 23:51:02 UTC 2009

Hello Ed,

For soldered cans I use a gas torch to melt the solder and then I pull
apart the soldered parts.

First I mark one side with a file/scribe to assist reassembly.

I usually put the can in a bench vice for a firm mechanical grip.
I put the soldered joint the furthest away from the vice jaws to
minimize the heat sink effect of the massive vice.

I apply heat evenly to the solder joint and pull off the soldered cover.
Avoid excessive heat, it will only cook the parts inside.

I have used butane and propane gas torches.
Have also used acetylene ( no oxy ) as with MAPP gas.

May help to have a method of grasping the soldered cover.

In production a induction heater is probably used to get the joint hot,
then either preformed solder melts
or solder is manually applied.

What is important on disassembly is to be able to get a grip on the
parts, to ease separation.

Stan, W1LE    FN41sr   Cape Cod