[time-nuts] ADEV vs. OADEV

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jan 22 11:40:15 UTC 2009

Ulrich Bangert wrote:
> Magnus,
>

>> Actually, what you describe is the estimator formulas rather than
>> definition. This is also targeting the fine point that I am trying to
>> make. It's not about the basic definition, but accepted convention to
>> denote the estimators.
>>

> I still do not understand the fine point! A estimator might have this
> property and that property and may perform this task good and another
> task bad, but at the basics we have a formula and if the formula is new
> or different from prior art then the thing needs an name of its own. In
> this sense the summation over square(y(i+1)-y(i)) is called the base of
> the "Allan variance/deviation" just for historical reasons. So the name
> is "Allen deviation" and it is defined by its formula.
>

>> Disagree. The estimator formulation that is classically used includes
>> these "missed" tau0 steps that you claim that OAVAR/OADEV
>> includes. This is my point. Somewhere along the line the established
>>
> ADEV estimator
>
>> became the OADEV estimator and another estimator took the ADEV place.
>> This is what I oppose without a more detailed look at things.
>>

> The OAVAR/OADEV has this name of its own BECAUSE it includes the
> summands that are missed by the original AVAR/ADEV so its needs an name
> of its own.
>

>> Somewhere along the line the established ADEV estimator became the
>>
> OADEV estimator
>
> If you had said: "The currently established estimator for oscillator
> stability is the OADEV estimator" I would have perfectly agreed.
> However, ADEV does already point to a different thing, so to say "Today
> we call ADEV what was formerly called OADEV and what was formerly called
> ADEV now is also called different" is not excused with a certain
> sloppiness in language but simply wrong use of terms. Exactly this is
> the point why I said that the discussion is dangerous. This is not a
> change in paradigm this is a case of inaccurate use of scientifical
> terms.
>
> Best regards
> Ulrich

Ulrich. Magnus

Perhaps the situation is best summarised in /NIST special Publication
1065/ (can be downloaded as 2220.pdf
<http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/2220.pdf> from NIST) wherein it
is stated that ADEV, AVAR are often taken to mean the overlapped form of
the Allan deviation at least in the US.

The attached figure graphically illustrates the difference between the
ordinary and the overlapped versions.

Bruce